Rudolf Kortokraks was born on 08 July 1926 at Ludwigshafen Rhein,Germany where he attended primary school.
In 1941 he moved to Graz, Austria /then part of Greater Germany/ and entered the Arts and Crafts school at the age of 14 in 1942. His teachers there were the painters Prof. Rudolf Szyszkowitz and Prof. Alfred Count Wickenburg. Prof. Hans Wagula accepted him in the Master Class in 1944 where he remained until 1945. He returned then to Germany and entered the Freie Akademie Mannheim in 1946. His teachers there were Prof Carl Trummer, a sculptor, and Paul Berger Bergner, a painter.
In 1949 he moved to the artist's colony of Worpswede, near Bremen, Germany, where he first participated in group exhibitions. In 1951 he had a one man exhibition combined with one of the surrealist artist Richard Oelze.
His influences were then : Titian, Veronese, Tintoretto, Rembrandt, Goya and Daumier. Of the 20th century painters Georges Braque, Maurice Utrillo, Amadeo Modigliani and foremost Christian Rohlfs ( whose origins were similar to the Kortokraks family, who are documented in East Westphalia since the year 1088). As portraits and traditional likenesses are still his major concern the mummy portraits of Fayum, Egypt are role models for him.
Two scholarships of DM 250 each ($80) by the Federal States of Bremen and Lower Saxony allowed a trip to Paris in 1951 where he remained for the following 10 years.
The director of the Museum Mannheimer Kunsthalle and the municipal art director of the city of Mannheim insisted that he partake at Oskar Kokoschka's Salzburg School of Vision in 1954. Two years later Kokoschka entrusted him with a teaching post as his assistant followed by the job of chief assistant responsible for the entire teaching staff, which he held until the collapse of the School of Vision in 1963.
In 1964 he moved to London and taught part time at Maidstone College of Art and the Byam Shaw School, London. He lectured at West of England College of Art, Bristol, the Royal College of Art, and Cambridge University Fine Art Society.
1969 voyage to Mexico and New York City. Several exhibitions there.
1976 – 1980 teaching post as Professor and head of the newly re-established School of Vision within the Salzburg Summer Academy. Title exclusively granted to him by Oskar Kokoschka (see OK catalogue Tate Gallery 1978).
In 1981 he founded School of Vision Tuscania, Province Viterbo, Italy until 1990. Since then he lives in Tuscania, Italy, Brighton,GB, and occasionally Salzburg.
Artistically he considers himself a fundamentalist who hopes for the gradual erosion of neophilic and herostratic tendencies as well as the eventual re-establishing of the canon of quality.